Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Coincidences (2)

Ever since I was twenty I have been thinking about coincidences. There have been many in my life and it continues to amaze me. One significant one occurred just today. It was interesting, at least to me.

I do a lot of research on the internet. I stumbled across an interesting website last night. I am reading Stephen Ambrose's book on the Lewis and Clark Expedition, "Undaunted Courage". (Yes, those of you who stop by regularly, I am still reading it. It is an easy read but I can only find a few minutes here and there to read it.)

I am reading this book and it raises the subject of human migration patterns. Well, it raises the question in my mind. So I started thinking about it. I typed in the words "human migration" on Yahoo and it gave me a lot of choices. One of them led me to a website, http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/. I was impressed with the information that could be found there.

I am an old anthropology major - for two semesters - so this website gave me a lot to study. Some of the things that I found were the discovery or ancient art. The cave paintings in Cosquer and Chavert in France were incredible. But the real interesting artwork was the giraffe carvings of Niger. I was amazed. I read the articles and nowhere could I find any indications as to when these figures were carved. I was really quite fascinated by it. I thought a great deal about it. I knew that my friend at work would really enjoy this artwork. She is a very talented artist and I share discoveries with her all the time. I was thinking about her while I was reading and looking at this website. I knew she would love it.

I was further amazed this morning when I was at work. This artist friend of mine shows up in a blouse of giraffe print. How could she have known that I was thinking about her? Could I have placed these thoughts in her head telepathically? Or was it just a coincidence? I may never know. But it was pretty amazing that I turned around and saw her blouse of giraffe patterns. Pretty cool. Just made me stop in my tracks. Who is running this universe anyway? What great plans You have or what a great sense of humor You have.

While thinking about this, and its flirtation with the paranormal, I was reminded of my grandmother. She was a neat lady who sometimes would say things that just seemed so strange. I remember one day that she was at our house, she must have been in her 80's and she was just sitting in the living room watching the days activities. I remember my younger sister, she must have been 18 or 19 (maybe 20) at the time, had a friend over. I think I said hi to the friend as my sister and her went through the living room and into the backyard. My grandmother looked at me and said that that girl was the girl I would marry. I laughed and thought she was joking.

My grandmother died about four years later. And three years after that? I married that girl. So all of you out there...listen to your grandmothers.

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings today. It was just kind of fun to think about "coincidences" or the great "plans" that someone has for our lives. Keep thinking and wondering.

David.

2 comments:

Cosmo said...

Have you ever had one of those coincidences where you are reading a book or newspaper while watching the TV and they say a word on TV just as you read the same word. Weired!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,
I just wanted to thank you for your kind and generous words on my blog! it was delightful to get them--especially when I have needed some encouragement to keep it up!
I am enjoying yours...amazing to have the opportunity to hear about someone's life and thoughts who lives on the other side of the country and with whom I've had no prior connection (as far as I know...) Coincidences are tricky sometimes--Be well; I'll visit again--Kali