Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Age (a re-post from June 10, 2009: for maintenance reasons)

As we get along in years, as we pass the time, turn the corner, cross the bridge, climb the hill to middle age, we notice things that we may not have noticed in the past. We hear things that affect us differently than other things might have. We can become more sensitive to the world around us. We understand more. We appreciate things more. And we also lament the passing of time. We marvel that there are more years behind us than ahead of us. We have reached that age.

Tonight my wife and I were sitting down to watch our beloved baseball team play the Los Angeles Dodgers. You may know that the Dodgers moved west to California in the year of my birth, 1958. They just packed up and moved. The city of Los Angeles promised them a stadium. I remember someone asking one of the owners if he ever regretted the move. He said, "let's see, we own the stadium, we own the land, we own the concessions, we own the parking. No, I don't regret it." With a deal like that, what's not to love.

The Dodgers built the stadium shortly after moving out to California and it opened in 1962. 1962 was a great year for me and I didn't even know it. My wife was born that year. But enough history.

We were watching our Padres and the announcers made some comments about the Dodger Stadium being built in 1962. And now because of all the new ballparks built in the recent years, Dodger Stadium is now the third oldest major league ballpark in the country. My wife lamented that she didn't want to hear about anything being built in 1962 as being the third oldest anything. What could I say? I just had to let it go.

D.
Posted by David at 10:23 PM 0 comments Links to this post

No comments: