Monday, September 24, 2007

My first blog

My name is David. I consider myself a poet. Whether you consider me one is part of this question. I have wanted to post a blog for some time now. I think I have something to say. We shall see.

As I was putting together these words, I asked myself "who am I?" I must say that I was at a loss for description. Because I do consider myself, and everyone else, too, a work in progress. I was torn between talking about my life as purely Chronologically, letting you know where I have lived and why I moved around, or telling you about who I am or rather what makes me, me.

I decided to do both. I will not bore you with the details of everyday life except to tell you that I have lived all over this country. I was born and partly raised in Sacramento, CA and moved to the mountains when I was 7 years old. At that point my dad realized that his entire family was allergic to the pollen in the air and he moved us all to the foothills of the Sierras to the fresh air. It was there that I learned to love nature and the mountains. I didn't stay there very long. Two years later my family moved to Buffalo, New York. We spent two frozen winters in Buffalo before moving to the humid deep south in New Orleans. I loved New Orleans. I loved the history, the old forts and the battlefield. Finally, when I was about 20 my family moved back to California. I was not doing anything in New Orleans at the time so I moved here with them.

I grew up in New Orleans. And somewhere I learned to write. But I was never as good as I truly thought I had to be. I don't know where the pressure came from but I felt that I had to be the best. After high school I wandered about. Searching for something.

Let me know about your searches. Maybe we can get a great discussion going.

I have lived in the mountains of California (1960's and 1980's) , through the winters of Buffalo, New York (1960's) , through hurricanes in the New Orleans Ninth Ward (1970's) , and in the paradise of San Diego, California (1990's to present) . I have loved and lost, and loved and won. I continue to savor that victory.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello David it's nice to meet you. I do not have my oun blog but I enjoy reading others blogs. It seems you have lived in many interesting places. I have remained in the north eastern part of the US all my life but have visited Ca on one occasion and was glad to have done so. The furthers I have traveled is Hawaii with my daughter and sister for a ladies only vacation. I could easily live there. (Maui) The cost of living is quit a bit higher that I am used to though. I will continue to check on your blog. Leanne from Pa.

KayMac said...

Welcome to the world of blogging. So far, I would definately say you are a poet. Enjoyed reading your post. Keep them coming!

David said...

Thank you for your comments. They are much appreciated. I will look for you all. Have a great day.