Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

"Seize the Day".

It WAS an incredible wake the other night. (See previous post.) Part of the dealing with the loss was seeing all of his friends and how much of an impact my nephew had on all of their lives. The story goes that when JJ moved out on his own he moved into the house where he grew up. The story is that if you ever needed a place to stay, a dollar or two, JJ was your friend. He never turned anyone away. I never heard a bad story about JJ. But seeing all of his friends...he had a great, full life in his short 31 years.

I have been trying to write my New Year’s resolutions for a couple of weeks now. As you can tell by my earlier posts, I have had to set that aside for the time being. The events of the past two weeks have really hit me. Life is precious. Life is short. And I have been putting things off. I have much to do this weekend.

Part of the reason I have so much to do is because I feel that I have wasted my time. I read a book a few years back that stated that we are all here for a reason. Some people's reasons may be very simple, some may be complex. But we all impact each other's lives. The author stated that a homeless person on a street may be fulfilling their life's duty by serving as an example to some and a conduit of charity for others. We may never know what our purpose is but we must always live right. (I kind of wonder about that, but I get her point).

I have wasted my time. I languish in front of the TV each night and basically go brain dead. I gel, I melt into my easy chair and waste away. I think the brevity and fullness of my nephew's life serves as an example to me to get out there and do something. So I am going to try to be a better person. I said try. We shall see. I will try to read more and I will try to write more. We shall see.

Thank you,
D.

2 comments:

KayMac said...

Dave, I am sorry for the loss of your nephew. It sounds like he really impacted others with his love and compassion.

Cosmo said...

Dave, I was so sorry to read about the sad time that your family have gone through in recent weeks - Peace be with you all.

When you do come up with a couple of ideas of things that would make a difference please post them. I'd be happy to "prod" you every now and then to keep you motivated.

God bless.