Friday, January 1, 2010

Movie Night on New Year's Day

It has long been a tradition in our family that New Years Day night, after getting up early, watching the Rose Parade and taking down the Christmas decorations, that my wife and I repair to our easy chairs and become unfortunate couch potatoes. Tonight was a night for tradition. She had gone out to rent the latest DVD version of some action movie franchise and we sat down to a dinner of black eye peas and beer-boiled bratwursts. Our children had decided to join us in our family movie night. The action movie was great.

But my college student daughter had accompanied my wife to the video store. They came back with the rental, and a stack of previously viewed discounted DVD's. One of those little gems we were destined to watch after finishing the action movie. I was looking for something a little lighthearted.

My daughter, a child psychology student, had a movie on her Christmas list. Santa must have skipped that, or not had enough room in his bag. So, at the video store this evening she found the neglected movie. I think we purchased it for her because it ended up in our stack.

And that is how we happened across a wonderfully fascinating little movie called "Phoebe in Wonderland", starring Felicity Huffman, Patricia Clarkson, Elle Fanning, Bill Pullman and Campbell Scott. This awesome movie has the innocent title disguising a beautifully intelligent, deep movie and has some incredible acting. I am thankful to have found this gem. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who has kids.

I found myself with a lot of different emotions while (and after) watching this. From a parent's standpoint I could certainly understand the feelings. The parents (Huffman and Pullman) scenes were great scenes to watch. Elle Fanning was amazing. The depth of character portrayed was fascinating to watch. Clarkson was great.

I came away with many different thoughts. Can a child of 9 or 10 have that kind of lucidity? Certainly that kind of intelligence and self-awareness could be recognized. Also, can we find teachers that use the Socratic method and actually teach our children to think?

As a parent, that is all I ask. I try to teach my children responsibility, honor, and a sense of community. I want them to know that they belong and are a part of the greater good. I am learning that the education of a soul goes very deep.

No comments: