Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Priscilla Herdman

These words are long overdue. I have been listening to her music for several years now. Everytime I hear her voice she lightens my heart. Priscilla Herdman has the purest voice I have ever heard. And she chooses such wonderful, passionate and insightful songs. Such a sweet sound. Her voice has an amazingly calming affect on my troubled soul.

I have been a fan of Priscilla Herdman’s voice ever since I first heard her on the XM satellite radio back in 2003. I definitely have to thank the folk channel for that discovery. My first introduction to her music was through her work with the trio, Herdman Hills and Mangsen. The first song I heard was "More Wood" from their "Voices of Winter" CD. Wow, what a CD that was. Beautiful theme and I was struck right away by the pure artistry of it. These three ladies work very well together. There are about a dozen songs that I look forward to hearing when I put that CD in.

The only name I remembered (I was listening in the car) was Herdman’s. So I went home and immediately looked up her web site (http://www.priscillaherdman.com/) and I ordered the CDs. I was hooked. And I have thoroughly enjoyed the music of the trio and of Priscilla Herdman herself ever since.

Last night I listened again. I couldn't sleep. I fired up the I-Pod and played only Priscilla's music. The music again lifted my soul and calmed my restless heart. I am particularly fond of her CD, "The Water Lily" - 1977. This was the album where she uses a lot of the Australian poet Henry Lawson's words and shares his works with the world. My favorites are the songs "Reedy River"(Henry Lawson-Chris Kempster) and "The Shame Of Going Back"(Henry Lawson-Priscilla Herdman). Amazingly beautiful songs. But her duet with the late Utah Philips ("I Remember Loving You" - Darkness Into Light - 1987) is just sheer artistry.

Priscilla Herdman is a true artist. Her voice is the most pure voice I have ever heard. These words are long over due. Priscilla, you have given me many hours of peace. I thank you for that.

D.

No comments: