Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Humor helps

In trying times I turn to philosophy to help.  I pulled this off a website a few months ago.  I thought it was funny and kept it.  I didn't keep the web attribute but please know that if you see it somewhere else, I got it from them. 

"A working philosophy.  Solipsism is the belief that nothing exists in the universe except one's own thoughts.  It's all just a figment of your imagination.

"The philosopher Bertrand Russell wrote an essay for general-interest outlet describing solipsism and demonstrating how absurd it it.  A few days later he got a letter from a reader.  'Dear Professor Russell,' said the letter.  'You are quite wrong to doubt the validity of solipsism.  I am a solipsist myself.  I think it is a perfectly valid point of view, and many others agree with me.  Yours sincerely...'"


I still get a chuckle out of this each time I read it.

D.

No comments: