Tuesday, July 28, 2020

For Maria

For Maria

To my friend, Maria. Thanks for the gesture.

A pocketful of petals
They were given to me.
Petals in a pocket,
A simple pleasantry.

Alas, Pleasure becomes dismay.
Too soon the rose fades away.
Be still, my heart, find peace.
The spirit of the gift you'll keep.

Copyright 1999.  David Normand      From The Romantic Bower

The other day, on my birthday, while sipping my morning coffee, I was treated to a view of the ducks on the Columbia River having their breakfast.  It struck me that a pleasant breakfast for some birds may not be the same for other animals, like some fish and insects.  Some days might not be as pleasant for others. 

I told myself that life isn't always a bed of roses.

Into each life some rain must fall.  And this morning some rain fell in mine.  I learned of the passing of my friend, Maria. She was an artist, a sweet lady, a friend who, truthfully, I had not seen in a few years.  But I always felt strongly for her.  And those eyes, Maria had the most beautiful eyes. 

She was my muse.  She inspired me to write the first poem I ever sold. The one I titled for her.  For Maria, "Pleasure becomes dismay/Too soon the rose fades away." The dreaded cancer steals another young soul.  She was way too young.

Just a few weeks ago she crossed my mind again.  My daughter had rescued some feral cats just like Maria did when she lived near us in California.  I have been thinking of her lately, within the last few weeks. I remembered that heart.  She was such a kind person. 

I am glad to have known her.   I am glad she was in my life.  It is not the same world knowing she is gone.  I wish you peace, my friend. 

DN

Updated:  November 1, 2020
Several days after I wrote the above blogpost, I mentioned it to a friend on Facebook.  I also told her that I  was sitting at the dining room table when I was reading through it for my final draft purposes.  I smiled at the thoughts of Maria and our friendship when my Alexa device in the other room started playing a song.  This particular song is a kind of new favorite and is about muses.  Maria was my muse and, yes, I truly believe that we were having a conversation.  Maria, thank you.  

DN.  

No comments: