Monday, May 26, 2008

The Lives of Others - a review

I heard about this movie in a variety of places. My news magazine, my brother, all recommended it. On the strength of those I added that to our Netflix queue. I have never read a complete review but accepted it on the word of mouth of people I respect.

"The Lives Of Others" is a German film about life on the other side of the Berlin wall. It is in German with subtitles. It has always been my contention that you watch a movie like you read a book but this movie I HAD to read. It was a powerful portrayal of life behind the iron curtain. I was struck by its honesty from the very first moments. I found that I was glued to the screen. I had to read the dialogue. It was just a very powerful story about life in a communist society.

I was moved by the story of the playwright, his friends, and his actress girlfriend; the workings behind the reasons for the state police to bug his apartment; and the cold, lifeless, police officer in charge of the surveillance. I cannot say too much of the story beyond this because I do not want to give it away but this movie has some amazing scenes. Some brutally honest scenes that make you ask yourself how would you react if these were your neighbors, if this was your town, your friends. I think we need to ask ourselves this occasionally. What price do we pay for our freedom? What price would we pay to get it back.

I was moved to tears several times. It has some beautiful portrayals. I recommend that everyone to rent it.

Very powerful stuff. Rent it.

David.

1 comment:

KayMac said...

will try to check it out. love the pic of yellowstone falls.