Thursday, May 22, 2008

oil

I started this blog about six months ago and I made a commitment to myself that I would try not to be too political. I can't keep that promise any longer. I have to say something about certain current issues in the US.

We all know oil prices have gone up and when oil goes up so does gasoline for our automobiles. So in the US we have been looking for cheaper, better alternatives. Bio fuels. From corn oil and other sources. We are using more of our crops for the lucrative bio fuel market. Then the US gets criticized for not exporting enough food to starving countries.

The real food crisis has been traced to the rising middle class around the world. With the growing economy millions more people have prospered to become more affluent in a global economy. This new middle class opulence has seen a consumption of more food in China and India. More demand there. Less exports for anywhere else.

It is interesting how the US is to blame for a lot of things. And we get criticized for acting in our own self interests.

Sometimes it just gets really annoying. I mean why can't world governments produce enough foods for there own people? I know self determining governments should function in their citizens best interests. Don't get me wrong. I know some of these answers. And I know it is just a lot easier to find an easy scapegoat.

Update: Apparently Opec thinks that oil should be priced about $60 to $120 a barrel. So who is raising the price. Some investors looking for a profit at the expense of the consumers. Amazing.


David.

1 comment: