Monday, August 11, 2008

Turning Fifty

During the past two weeks I turned a half a century old. I was given the opportunity to savor the joys of having a party in which my family (some) and friends (some) showed up to help me celebrate. It was a great party. My wife planned it exquisitly. She did not plan on surprising me but she did. I knew about the party, I knew about the attendees, but she put together a scrapbook that was just incredible - highlights of my life, my family and cherished moments.

Fifty years of living one can accumulate a great many dreams, ideas and accomplishments. Well, I had the first two but was kind of depressed about my lack of accomplishments. After looking at the friends who made the great effort to attend my celebration I have no doubt about my accomplishments. I have great friends. I still have great ideas and dreams, so, who knows. Maybe someday.

Depressed about my accomplishments? Yeah, kind of. I had dreams about what I wanted to do with my life. I can't say that my life has turned out exactly as I planned but I can't complain about how sweet it is. I wish I had written a bestseller, I am still working on a book of poetry, I have several ideas for plays, but the time to complete those tasks is hard to find. I have ideas. They come to me while driving, while fixing breakfast, while mowing the lawn. The thoughts are always popping into my head. I always have paper around for notes. I have lots of notes. I just need to write them down and get back to them when I have time to consolidate them.

I shouldn't be depressed. I still have time, desire and abilities. I just don't have time currently. I can squeeze in a half hour here or there, but nothing consistently. There are so many distractions just in living. So I write what I can, when I can. I write this blog. I still think. I still have ideas. Someday...

I think I have had a great first fifty years. I look forward to the next fifty years.

David

4 comments:

KayMac said...

Happy Birthday! What a great gift your wife gave you! Having turned 50 myself this year, I understand some of your sentiments...looking forward at 20 & 30 looked a bit different than looking back at life from this vantage point.

I am glad that those who surround you are how you place value on what you have given to the world. The lives we affect are our greatest legacy...whether it is one life or one million.

Tadpole Bade said...

Happy Birthday David!!

Your accomplishments include faithful readers (who don't comment often enough) whose lives are impacted by your writing more than you know.

Thanks for continuing your efforts and allowing us to be included.

- Tadpole

David said...

Thank you for your comments Kaymac. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. I have come to realize that friends are an invaluable commodity. I cherish the friends I have. I hope I do. I hope they know that.

Still, a bestseller and poetry book would be nice. And so, I shall continue to write. Thanks again.

keep in touch.
David

David said...

Grandpa Toad, I didn't know you were a grandpa. thanks for stopping by. I do appreciate your comments. And welcome to the blogosphere.

Sir, your comments are much appreciated. Thank you.

I shall continue to write.

David.