Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

I have to thank my friend Cosmo (http://regularlatte.blogspot.com/) who blogs on his "views from a coffeeshop". He reminded me that Shrove Tuesday (here in the states I call it Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday) had just passed. That would make today Ash Wednesday. I used to go and get the ashes on my forehead. I did not today. I was at work before sunrise. I have not been to church in a few years. That may be the subject of another blog, perhaps a whole web page. No. I will not burden you with that part of my spiritual journey.

I miss New Orleans. There has been discussion, these past few years since Katrina, of my family taking a trip to New Orleans. I would love to show them my old stomping grounds. Although sadly, my old high school did not make it through Katrina. It made it through but sustained so much water damage that I heard it had to be torn down. Oh well. All that I can say is "we can rebuild it. we have the technology". Make it better.

Still, New Orleans is rich in culture, history, folklore and style. I would love to share it with my family. We are due. We must go. Someday.

I have yet to decide what to give up for Lent. I used to be pretty good at Lent. I would pick something to do without and I would too. Lately, I just try to be good. We shall see. I will try. That is really all I can do. Happy Ash Wednesday to you all. God Bless.
D.

UPDATE: February 28, 2009.
I enjoyed the Mardi Gras parades (there were a lot - a hundred?), I enjoyed the parties. I enjoyed the Mardi Gras season. I did not enjoy seeing all drunks wandering the streets, the scandalous French Quarter behavior and all the trash afterwards. New Orleans was a religious area. It seemed hypocritical to me to have such debauchery just to squeeze it in prior to the religious season of Lent. Why not strive for a balance all year round? It seemed rather odd to me. I try to be good. But I do enjoy a little fun every once in a while too.

But I do miss New Orleans. I wonder if the city of my youth will hold the same magic whenever I return? I recall the city with limited fondness. When I turned 18 I could not wait to get out of there. I jumped at the first chance I had to move to California. I think it paid off.
D.

1 comment:

Cosmo said...

I went to an Ash Wednesday service in the evening - followed by coffee in Dublin city centre. (Obviously I haven't given up coffee for Lent!)

Because my forehead was "ashed" I felt a little uncomfortable (is that the point???) and self aware. For a country with such a Catholic tradition I hardly saw anyone with ashes all day. Eventually I noticed someone leaving the cafe who also had ashes. I wanted to call out, "Hey, you're not alone. I got it done too!"

It made me think about how possibly millions of people around the world adorne themselves each day with a cross/crucifix jewelry and probably don't give it a thought. But put a cross of ash on your forehead and it takes it to another level.