Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Pressure

The intention of this blog has been, for me, to write some interesting insights (ponderings) into everyday life. I hope that I have come close to offering some insight. I know that, at times, I just write about nothing, just to give you something to read. I have felt bad about that. But I do not want my readers to think that I have forgotten this blog. The idea behind this blog has been an exercise to make me a better writer and also to train myself to write more often.

This past week I have felt bad about my lack of effort. And today I was reading my favorite magazine and website at lunch time. I came across a bit of second hand advice from one of my intellectual heroes. It spoke right to my mood this past week.

My hero was William F. Buckley. When I was in college (the first time), I was taking history and English courses. I wanted to become an intellectual. I wanted to understand our society. I subscribed to several magazines from across the political spectrum, left to right. I did this for several years and at the end of my college career the only magazine that stuck was Buckley's National Review. I am still a subscriber even today. Buckley was one of the smartest men in America. He stood for the individual, freedom, self-determination, and personal liberty and responsibility.

WFB died last year. And today, his friend, Rick Brookhiser, was interviewed about his new book
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YmVhYzk5NGQ4ZjgwYmE1YWVkZWNhZGFhNjE5ZjBlMzE=#more) on Buckley. One of the editors at National Review interviewed Mr. Brookhiser and asked him what Buckley taught him about writing.

"Swing for the fences. Why not? We don’t remember the cautious because we never read them in the first place."

So here I am. Laying out my dreams, desires and aspirations. For that quote to come to me in a week where I am having doubts about what I am doing, it just amazes me. I truly believe that there is a force out there; I believe that someone is looking out for me. And I shall strive to "swing for the fences" in this effort. Please don't forget about me and I will try not to forget about you. I will try to post often enough to keep you interested.

D.

No comments: