Friday, August 1, 2014

Friday Night Dinner with My Dad.



Since my mom died, gosh, almost three years ago, my sisters and I take turns fixing Dad dinner.  Tonight was my turn.  

The television news was on when we got to my Dad’s house for Friday night dinner.  Same news, bad news, old news, new news.  One story caught my attention.  One of our local school districts has discovered that the new school session has some students left without books.  The news story contained the information that you would expect.  One health class did not have enough books.  Some parents were upset.  How could the board not plan for that?  Really!  Further on the reporter announced that only 90% of the students had IPads. 
 
My dad responded.  Words to the affect that… “when I was in school I was happy just to have a tablet.” 

My dad further explained that it was during the depression, 1936.  And the tablet was a wood framed little piece of blackboard.  His writing utensil would have been a piece of chalk. 

The more things change, the more they stay the same.  School supplies were in short supply then as now.  And the new student really just wanted a tablet. 
D.

2 comments:

AChillyPepper said...

I read this post with delight. Thank you.

I, too, looked after my 71 year old father when my 61 year old mother died way back at the start of the new millennium. You're a good son.

During my ten years of caregiving, I heard so many stories of my dad's childhood (also during the depression) and that 'one room school house' with Mrs. So & So(old witch) who 'pulled my ears all the time when I acted up in class'.

Dad has since passed some 5 years ago but the memories live on. I think of him daily but thank you for the reminder to think of dear old dad's stories.

Tell your dad some of us 'kids' appreciate what we have and sincerely appreciate what the 'old-timers' went through just to survive back then.

You are correct. The more things change, the more they stay the same. The depression was a time of survival. I think if people were honest, it's much the same today. Without banks and credit, we would just be trying to survive and not live up to the Joneses.

:)

David said...

Chili Pepper, Thank you for your comment. I am so happy that it had that kind of affect on you. I try to share stories and feelings that other people might understand.

I am glad I could bring some memories back. Thank you for your comment.

David.