Monday, June 2, 2008

Disposable Children

He came to us the newly adopted laughing boy,
A joy to the kids and babies at our daycare.
The laughing boy went home to loving arms at end of day.
A mama’s joy.

As days went by the laughing slowed.
A little boy misses his baby brother, another foster child,
Another home.
Mama’s joy unites them at last.
The two adopted laughing boys.

The laughing boys played hard.
Their love was shared.
But boys come home at night, to a quiet house,
And loudly played and played…

And mama’s joy turned angry. Quiet time is what she craved.
Parent’s get tired from work.
Stresses build and
Become unbearable.
Call the agency, contracts broken
We can’t handle this, we can’t handle two, loud, noisy boys.

The agency arrives and tells the boys.
Little boys go where they are told
They never make friends, they are bought and sold
Passed around and loved from home to home,
To grow into the realm of the crowded and alone.

August 29, 2006


C. 2006 David Normand

Just thought I would share this. Any comments?

2 comments:

KayMac said...

This really is good, Dave. Right to the heart of the matter. I know those boys (and girls). I have met them, passed by them, ignored them, reached out to them, and felt helpless to rescue them. There is more to do.

Cosmo said...

Dave,

I've been away from much spare time on the computer, so I'm just catching up. (I'll get back to you about your Garden of Angels story).

This poem is beautiful. I've read it through a couple of times now and find that last verse very moving.

I hope you won't mind if I keep a copy of this in my files.