Tuesday, June 17, 2008

fortune cookies

When my wife and I were first engaged and in the exploratory stages or our relationship, there were always questions of whether we were doing the right thing. During one of our intimate dinner dates we went to a popular Chinese Restaurant in Lake Tahoe. After the beautiful and delicious dinner the waiter brought the fortune cookies. My wife's fortune cookie told her to "Stop looking, happiness is seated right next to you". We still have those two fortune cookies in our scrap book.

And twenty years later we are still enjoying fortune cookies. It seems like after every Chinese meal that we have had that fortune cookie always comes up. Recently, we went out to dinner and my wife and I took our children out for Chinese food. After our meal as we sat there in a cramped booth, we again discussed our fortune cookies. My son said his told him he would always live in comfort and material wealth. My daughter's said she would take a trip with a friend.

My daughter then asked me what my fortune said. I told her it said "Stop looking, happiness is seated right next to you." She asked my wife what her fortune said. I said that it said "Someday your prince will come". And then my wife, from the other side of the cramped booth said, "Yeah, and he wont have any place to sit."

I guess the honeymoon is over.

1 comment:

KayMac said...

ha! what great memories you two have!