Saturday, July 19, 2008

Crows


During my walk a few days ago I mentioned that I saw some crows fighting it out in a tree. Today (Saturday, July 19th), I had another experience with crows. This time I have a picture. These crows somehow got caught in the unused batting cage of a local high school's baseball field. The cage is attached to the dugout. The gate from the dugout was open and there was also a small opening in the chain link fence on the other side which they could easily have walked through. But these crows (I am told they are pretty smart birds) could not seem to find the way out or remember how they got in there.


The birds did not seem to be panicking but they were flying from their perch on a small storage box to the opposite corner of the cage. It occurred to me that they may be disoriented from their predicament and it has not occured to them to walk out. Could it be that in their predicament they just didn't think to walk? They fell back on their skill of flying. That which they do best will get them out of this mess. I shall bring some seeds tomorrow in the hopes that I can coax them out.
We shall see what happens.
UPDATE: (Sunday, July 20th)...My son and I went back to the school and the cage. The birds were gone. They must have figured it out on their own. I thought that they might have. There were maybe too many human things in the dugout for them to try that route. They have flown the coop.
D.

1 comment:

KayMac said...

There is a good lesson in this...loved the quote..."They fell back on their skill...That which they do best will get them out of this mess." Hmmmmm, making me think of things in my life that I fall back on when, when I should be looking for new opportunities or developing new skills!

Thanks!