Saturday, September 20, 2008

"The Times, They Are a Changin"

Please forgive that little tribute to Dylan. I still love his music and poetry, even tho' as my daughter says, I am a [close minded] republican. (http://theneverendingstoryofkate.blogspot.com/2008/08/headway-finally.html) Oh she knows so little. Nevermind that. I used that quote for other reasons.

My daughter called from college this morning. My wife talked to her about stuff, and then gave the phone to me. I told her to watch out for the sick people (take your vitamins, drink your orange juice, avoid sick people), just normal fatherly advice. We talked about school and other school activities. We had a nice discussion. I enjoyed it.

At the end of the conversation I was about to hand the phone to her brother. I asked my daughter whose dime this was. My son looks at me, "did you find a dime?" (and why are you asking her if it was hers.) And my daughter says "what?" It occurred to me that there are no more pay phones (and if there are they probably cost fifty cents.) I felt so old. So I explained to my children the concept of pay phones on just about every corner in town that used to cost only a dime to use. I don't know how they felt about it. I handed the phone to my son so he could rant about his dad rolling his eyes and waxing nostalgic about pay phones and phone booths.

Ah the joys of parenthood and getting older. The things we grew up with are fading away -- even our kids a fading away. At least we can still know them when they are adults. I hope they keep in touch on the cell phones that I am still paying for.

D.

3 comments:

Kate the Great said...

Hey!!! I resent that.

Just kidding...mostly.

Love,
Katie

Kate the Great said...

Sorry about what I said in my blog. I was just...frustrated with all sorts of things and I shouldn't have said any of that. Sorry.

KayMac said...

Now Dave, don't "throw out the baby w/ the bath water". "Just kidding on the square" actually...tee hee. My daughter and I were having a conversation the other day and I responded to something she said with "What does that have to do with the cost of eggs?" She looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. I tried to explain but to no avail.

We will both feel better if we put in a couple of our favorite 8 tracks...wait, how about cassettes?! :-)