Friday, September 5, 2008

Big Dog Bravado

During our evening walks my wife and I often pass a house with a large dog in the backyard. That dog always barks loudly as we go by. Thankfully, there is a large fence separating us from the dog. I feel that the dog knows us or should know us by now. Well, last week while we were walking we approached that very house. I noticed that the owner was in the front yard with the dog in the back of a pick up truck. We were still two houses away when the owner went inside the house leaving the dog in the back of the truck. I was worried that the dog would now start barking as he does when we walk by. We continued walking. I positioned my self between the dog and my wife and was ready to take evasive actions if the dog became 'territorial'.

As we approached the yard the dog just completely ignored us. It was simply amazing. We were the same people, taking the same walk and now he was not barking at us. I think he was awaiting his ride in the truck. We walked along the sidewalk and headed home. No incident.

It is amazing the bravado displayed behind a fence. In a cage the excitement happens outside. But in the back of a pickup the excitement is in the anticipation of a wild ride. Out in the real world the dog was just as myopic as the rest of us.

D.

No comments: