Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday Afternoon at the Movies

My wife and I went to the movies this afternoon. I had not planned to go on a Sunday, there were so many other things to do this weekend. But we had time this afternoon and neither one of us wanted to sit around the house. We had two choices, for us anyway, based on our likes and dislikes. We chose the latest Russell Crowe movie. My wife likes Russell Crowe (and Ben Affleck) and I just love Helen Mirren and Rachel McAdams (loved her in "the Notebook" and "Redeye"). It was a win-win all around.

I was reluctant to go because I have not seen a real good movie in quite some time. I am kind of burned out. But I do love the movies. And I keep hoping to find some gem out there.

I think that I found one in this new movie, "State of Play". I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It was a smart screenplay, very inventive, and few nice little unexpected twists .

I found this movie to be very timely. It is about the investigation of the murder of a congressman's girlfriend and the newspaper business. The struggling newspaper business and bloggers. It is kind of reminiscent of "The Paper" and even the television series "24", though much better done. I heartily recommend it. It is not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

3 comments:

KayMac said...

Oh, sounds good! We saw The Soloist this weekend. It was ok, but the book was much much better.

David said...

We were going to see that but my daughter wants to see it so we may wait until when she comes back from school. We decided on "State of Play". It was great. Very smart movie. Lots of fun.

Cosmo said...

This past weekend, as part of a festival in Dublin, I watched a couple of silent movies accompanied with live original music. It was brilliant!

The movies where Battleship Potemkin - a classic in movie history (1925), and The Cabinet of Dr Caligari - one of the first 'horror' movies (1919).