Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Carmen

I remembered this story today. I think it was Carmen. Hurricane Carmen, 1977 . I was an 18 year old kid sent to fill up the family cars prior to the big wind. Carmen was headed straight to New Orleans, much like Katrina did a few years ago. The city was bracing itself for a big storm. My chore was to make sure all the cars were gassed up. I had one left.

The convenience store/gas station was packed.

I paid for the gas and went to the gas pumps to fill up the car with gas in the blowing rain. I put the nozzle in the tank of the car. Pulled the handle. Nothing.

Rain coming down. Wind blowing. I had a rain coat on, of course. But the wind blew the rain in. I had no hat.

I tried the handle again. Nothing.

I was cold, wet and angry. I went into the store, stood at the entrance and yelled at the top of my lungs to the clerk, who was extremely busy. "TURN THE GAS PUMP ON." As soon as he looked at me, sopping wet, he realized he forgot. I went to pump my gas. I am sure that everyone in the store had a good laugh at the sad sack, shy kid standing there waiting for his gas.
D.

No comments: