Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mortality

It has been a crazy couple of weeks for a 51 year old American. The idols of my formative years are dropping like flies. Even people my own age are dying. It really makes you take stock.

I grew up in the 60's and 70's. I watched a kid my age become a pop star (Michael Jackson). I watched a beautiful girl from south Texas (only 11 years older than me) become a sex symbol and actress (Farrah Fawcett). These people were my age and probably kept me thinking about the things I do with my life. They accomplished a lot in their lives and I was striving to hit the goals that I had set for myself.

I also grew up watching Johnny Carson and because of that I was exposed to Ed McMahon and Fred Travalena. I also saw Fred Travalena when I lived in Lake Tahoe in the late 70's, early 80's. And I guess, from watching late night television I was also exposed to Gale Storm and, more recently, Billy Mays.

So, the past couple of weeks have affected me in that I must now look at my own mortality. I have always known that life is temporary. I believe we all do. It is the perception of younger people that the expanse of years are all ahead of us. But as we age we learn the truth. Time is fleeting. We learn to make the best of our time. We chose our activities and do not waste our chances.

When I was a teenager my girlfriend was all gaga over the teen idols. She followed Michael Jackson and all of the other heartthrobs. I, and my friends, heard all about these guys. Consequentially, we did not follow them. We hated references to them. We did not like them. We were jealous of them. Fine. My music choices and likes were far different than hers. I had knowledge of MJ and I had followed his career. How could you not? He was in all the papers.

My brother had a Farrah Fawcett poster on the wall of his bedroom. I saw the first episode of "Charlie's Angels". I was not impressed with the story. But I enjoyed looking at the angels. Hey, I was 15/16 years old, who wouldn't?

And now, 35 years later, we are met with the news that three pop culture icons from our youth have passed away. This certainly gives you pause for thought. One of these icons was the same age as me. (Well, two - Billy Mays and Michael Jackson you could consider roughly the same age.) One can't help but be affected by that.

Take care of yourselves. Be healthy, be happy, be good, be safe.

D.

3 comments:

KayMac said...

It is amazing how connected we become to those whose lives are not intimately entwined with ours, yet are open to us in other ways.

Most of us were affected.

You be happy too, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Saveԁ as а favoritе, I rеally lіke your blog!



Here is my blog post; the big green egg

Anonymous said...

Make the subject convenient by presenting some type of a prop. Offer a girl a floral to try out with or even a gentleman a baseball. Give a bride and groom some bubble chewing gum and also have them blow bubbles together. You may not really have to range from the prop inside the framework sometimes but there might be pictures that work out properly using them. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Matrimo5656[/url]