Thursday, September 27, 2012

I Remember Chocolate

I remember chocolate.  I remember the first time I missed it.  I remember family dinners, the enticing desserts if we cleaned our plates, finished our  meals - the chocolate fudge, the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, the chocolate syrup on ice cream.  I remember the meals.  "Clean your plate." 

I remember cold broccoli, cold cabbage - cold, cold, mushy cabbage.  Horrible, cold cabbage, bland, unflavored, mushy, boiled cabbage. 

I remember my sister.  My sweet, adorable, wouldn't hurt a fly, sister.  I remember her telling me later that she thought the dog would eat it. But I ATE it.  I cleaned my plate.  she didn't.  I got blamed for the cabbage on the floor, under my chair. 

I remember desserts.  Reeses Peanut Butter Cups.  Yum.  Used to be my favorite.  I remember sitting there for an hour.  "Clean your plate."

I remember the dog getting my peanut butter cup.  I remember growing up, being an adult and always having chocolate in the apartment, in the house, as dessert, as a snack.  I remember working in the office, afternoon snacks, chocolate bars - the quick energy.  I remember those days.

I remember the days when  the energy boost did not come.  I remember the numbness, the thirst.  I remember the doctor telling me:

"Diabetes..."

I remember chocolate.


No comments: