Sunday, September 2, 2012

Neighborhood Crosswalks and cultural rules

Whilst out walking with my wife one fine Sunday morn, we came to an intersection of neighborhood streets. We were on the home stretch and this street intersected with our street at an angle. Just as we approached the intersection an SUV approached from our right. He pulled up to the stop sign. I had stopped and was waiting for him to drive on.

The driver signaled for us to go ahead and cross the street. Since he signaled us, we were obliged to walk in front of the SUV. We did, even though the best angle to cross the street would have been to walk behind the vehicle and to let the driver drive on.  But is that jaywalking?  Even if no one is around?

We are a nation of rules; a people of rules.  We have habits, cultural habits, that are often hard to break even when the simple way is the best.   

Sometimes I just wander around the house and just wonder. I wonder why. Why I am not the person I wanted to be. Why am I not the person I set out to be?  Maybe it is because of so many rules - cultural, societal, work, life.  So many unwritten rules.  I have to work.  Have to pay the bills.  I work because it is not permissable for an able bodied adult male to sit around and type words on a computer. 

I must learn to break the rules. 

No comments: