Saturday, December 22, 2007

Our Christmas Tree

To my niece

Our Christmas tree is decorated by tradition. I was single, living alone in 1986 when my niece (my sister-in-law) sent five dollars for me to buy a small tree. She was three and her mother wanted me to have a tree. I wasn't going to celebrate. It was too much work and I was alone in my apartment...what was the point? But discourage a three year old? Not me. I used her money and bought a small tree. She sent me one ornament. It was cute.

My sister heard about it and sent me a small collection of ornaments. We still have them. The next year I had a fiance. She moved in with me and we bought a slightly larger tree. Her girlfriends and cousins each sent a new ornament to go on our tree. A year later our daughter was born. We recieved a lot of baby's first Christmas ornaments and others.

The next year more ornaments sent to us. In the twenty Christmases we have been together we have received many ornaments from friends. I don't believe we have ever bought an ornament for our tree. The spirit of giving decorates our trees. I marvel at our gifts. We are truly blessed. There is a story behind each of our ornaments. There is a story of love and friendship. I love its spirit. I marvel at its life. I am truly amazed each year.

D.

1 comment:

Cosmo said...

Happy Christmas, Dave!

I hope that you and those you love will have a wonderful day!