Monday, December 31, 2007

The Saturday Before Christmas

The Saturday before Christmas I woke up. I showered, got dressed and sat down to my morning coffee and newspaper. During the course of my second cup I read my horoscope. I will paraphrase it here as follows:

"Your partner may not seem able to get up and go this morning. Try to encourage them to pick up the pace. It might be tempting to let them rest while you take up the slack, but you are not a team if you do all the work. Work on your motivational skills. They will respect you for having the right priorities."

I then read my wife's horoscope:

"If you feel like you are in the thick of things, you are right. But the good news is, you are the calm of the storm, the place where everything is quiet and serene. Of course, the time is coming soon when you will be forced to take to your shelter and hide out from the tumult around you. Resist the urge to fight back or brave the harsh elements. You need to live by the motto of 'safety first' if you want to get through the action without any stress. "

I saw these two horoscopes as two opposing views. My wife said it sounded like Christmas shopping. I gave up and ignored my horoscope. I kind of got the feeling that the stars were trying to pick a fight between my wife and myself.

We went shopping the next day. We went our own separate ways and were done by 11PM. She was done, I went out on Monday. It is kind of a tradition for me. I believe shopping on Monday takes all the 'shopping' or decisions out of it. Basically, everything is by then all picked over and you just take what is left. No decisions. They are already made for you. Just pick up what is left and you are done. Real easy.

No comments: