Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bangkok Orchid Thai Restaurant

The other night we had a terrific dinner.  Wonderful flavors, very satisfying.  I have done the calculations here before.  There are about 15 restaurants within walking distance of my house (1-2 miles).  My wife and I decided to take a walk out for dinner to a local restaurant.  We were going to go to Souplantation but my son decided that Thai food was a better choice for a Tuesday.  We went to the Thai restaurant next door. 

This new restaurant has been open for several months.  I was extremely excited when I saw that they were going to open.  The only other Thai restaurant in the area is a bit farther away, a longer walk and we don't get there much.  But this one is very close by. 

My son is 16 and making a lot of great decisions lately.  He is growing up.  His palate is developing quite nicely.  I am teaching him to cook and he is discovering new food items.  He just recently posted on his Facebook page that he "love[s] Thai food". 

The last three times we had been there we ordered the Leaf Wrapped Savories.  We all loved it for the variety.  Spinach leaves to wrap coconut, diced ginger, peanuts, bean sprouts, and carrots.  Top those wraps with a Thai sauce really makes this an awesome beginning.  Every flavor comes through in its original glory.

On those previous occasions we tried the standard Pad Thai noodles with chicken or shrimp.  Both very good dishes.  My wife ordered the Pad Thai Chicken on this night.  Previously I ordered some things I hadn't tried before.  I wanted to experience some different flavors.  On occasion I was surprised by the heat.  But the heat doesn't last long.

Keeping with my sense of adventure I ordered something new.  Calamari Panang Curry.  The flavors were quite simply extraordinary.  A very nice meal. The Kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass were just fantastic. I was also pleased that it came in a coconut sauce.  I vowed to try this dish at home.  I have the recipe right here as I write this.  Someday I will try it.  It is that good.  I would love to make it a part of my repertoire.

I have made up my mind to come back and try some other new and interesting entree'.  Bangkok Orchid Thai has an extensive menu.  I could be quite happy for the next six months.  I think I will be. 

The owner has assured me that the Panang Curry is great with scallops.  I love scallops.  Look for me there next week. 

D.

No comments: