Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Day I Fixed Lunch for Jay Leno

I have been a fan of Jay Leno's for a very long time. I followed him when he was a young comic in the 70's doing various clubs and an occasional appearance on "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson". I always enjoyed his humor. I wish him well in his new endeavor. I can't say that I will miss him on the tonight show because I haven't been a faithful viewer. Sorry Jay, nothing personal but the show was just on too late for me.

But I just wanted to say something about his upcoming "retirement". Retirement is where your friends get together and reminisce about your career. Well, the only memory I have of Jay Leno (we are not friends or acquaintances) is the closest I have to come to meeting him.

In 1979, I was a 21 year old cook and aspiring chef in Lake Tahoe. I was working at a nightclub/hotel on the Nevada side. One of my first assignments was as a cook in the New York Deli at Harrah's in Lake Tahoe. The deli was an open kitchen and we could see our customer's enjoying their lunch.

I remember Jay Leno coming to town to do his bit. I believe he was the opening act for someone else. I think this was prior to him being a "headliner". But I remembered the name and the face because of his appearances on "The Tonight Show". And I still remember him coming to "my place" for lunch. I don't remember what he ate for lunch but I do remember him coming to the restaurant. This was the day I fixed lunch for Jay Leno.

Jay, thanks for the memories. Here's to many more.

D.

No comments: