Sunday, May 24, 2009

Songs About September

My new music CD came in the mail yesterday. I was listening to it last night. Pondering the beauty of the music and lyrics the thought occurred to me that we write different songs about September these days. Coming off of my previous post about "worry lines", I guess I was still in a pensive mood about how people feel about things.

My new CD is a 2004/2005 release from David Francey (The Waking Hour). On that CD is a September 11 related song called "Fourth of July". Beautiful song about the sentiment ("the sabers were rattling for all they were worth") in the USA a year after September 11, 2001. We write different songs about September these days.

I remember when I was in high school, a girl friend quoted a song to me, "I'll see you in September", an old Shelley Fabares song. I don't remember. More recently, I recall a song about growing old ("75 Septembers" by Cheryl Wheeler and performed by Peter, Paul and Mary on their "Lifelines" album.) These were both excellent songs. But they were written in a pre-9/11 mentality. Although "75 Septembers" certainly does deal with how things have changed in 75 years, I do believe we have a different reasons for writing songs with the emotions surrounding September.

That new view of September, post 2001, is what I find in David Francey's "Fourth of July". He captures the emotions describing the feeling in this country in 2002. I think we write different songs about September these days. How can we help it? Things have changed.

No comments: