Sunday, July 9, 2017

Notes from my desk cleaning - 2017

I find myself with a lot of time to clean my office.  These days, my unemployment days, I have perfected my schedule.  I wake, have coffee and breakfast, then hit the computer looking for work.  Some days I am lucky and find two or three jobs to which I can apply.  I update resumes and cover letters to match those chosen jobs and send off the applications.  Then, I wait.  This process usually takes until noon.  Time for lunch and then to wait to see if the applications actually took.

In the afternoon check my e-mail, usually auto-responses that my applications were received.  I print out that email and put that copy in my work seeking binder and note the company and job on my desk calendar.  Then, usually by 1:00 pm I am free.  I clean my desk and office, or go do some household chores, laundry, kitchen cleanup, yardwork.   That is my schedule, Monday thru Friday.  Broken only by phone calls and the occasional interview. 

During one of the desk cleaning days, I found some notes from probably 2006 or 2007.  I guess my wife and I took the kids to the local elementary school "country hoedown":

"Some of the children I had known since they were babies.  It is a beautiful thing to be able to watch them grow up.  There is a certain freedom in their play and ease of expression.

I also found a little quatrain.  I probably wrote this about the same time.  I noticed that it was getting more and more difficult to get moving in the morning.

'I'm sorry,' he said as he rose this morn,
An old body ached and worn.
The quickness, gone as fast as the years,
The friends, lost in death, as well as the fears."

Maybe I will use that in a poem some day.  Or maybe some thoughts like it.  Who knows?

 

No comments: