Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Week 7, Day 4 - My Birthday (Well, tomorrow, anyway)

Alas, I come to this point.  Week 7 of my unemployment--my crossroads-- my turning point.  Did you know that I finished my book?  My collection of these little essays.  I envisioned that the whole world would have looked at them by now and that everyone would love them.

I thought for sure the system would have crashed under the sheer weight of demand.  No such luck.  I average about 900 hits a year.  I have some regular readers, whom I cherish, and some irregular readers, whom I also cherish.  Readers who stop by when prompted or cajoled into it by some Facebook posts or link.  I am left to myself to blow my own horn.  If not me, then who?

But I digress.  Alas, I come to this point.  My crossroads, my turning point.  I try to continue on the path of these past 20 years.  Do I continue as a technical writer or is their some alternative career path hidden around some unforeseen corner?  "Am I to be the hero of my life, or is that station to be held by someone else?"  I must choose.  I MUST CHOOSE.  I cannot let anyone else determine the course of my life.

Each day I wait.  I wait for the e-mail, for the phone call, text, or any new information.  On the days when there is no new information I find myself looking for new channels.   New paths of creativity.  New career choices to make.  Some of them may be a stretch, but some are not beyond the realm of reality.  I can do that.  Just give me the chance.  I just need to get out of the house.  This searching is driving me bonkers. I am a worker.  I need to be busy.  I am a doer and I find it difficult to wait for others to finish their work for me to do mine.  And yet, I must wait to find out.

So, on this 27th day of July, in 2017, I find my impatient self waiting for news.  Waiting for the chance to redeem myself, to re-make myself into my own hero.  I don't want to be a superhero.  Just a plain regular, everyday hero who works for a living, pays taxes, lives the good life and helps his fellow man in some small, unrewarded, unremarkable way.   I am not asking much.

D.

No comments: