Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Columbus Day, 2007

These are notes from November, 1997.

Recently, on October 12, 2007, marked the 10th year anniversary of the death of John Denver. I heard about it on the way to work that morning. I caught the tail end of the announcement and did not hear the name of the artist but read the news story on the internet. The real thing that caught my eye was the name John Denver. I was a huge fan of his when I was growing up, in high school and later when I was working in Lake Tahoe. It was in Lake Tahoe where I met John Denver. It was a great experience. I was lucky to see him in concert only once. I remember leaving the concert in a state of euforia. I remember telling my friends that JD was the single most important creative and spiritual influence in my life. I believe that to this day. I did not keep in touch with John's music. I regret that. But diapers and baby food took priority. I felt as though I lost a great friend when he died.

I did not tell anyone at the time but with the death of Princess Diana, Mother Theresa, John Denver and Jacques Cousteau I feel that the powers that be in the universe must feel that we humans had things pretty well under control to leave us without these great humanitarians.

Anyway, I have shed my tears for John and now I am lifted by his music to another level. I am listening to his spirit when I hear his music. That gives me a link to the other side. I am happy and content.

1 comment:

KayMac said...

Music often touches the deepest part of who we are in a way few things can, I think.