Thursday, October 30, 2008

Non Verbal Human Communication - A Beautiful Thing

On a quiet neighborhood corner, a young pair of brothers are riding their bicycles in circles on their double driveway and sometimes looping into the quiet street. The house is on a corner. This is a three way stop. There is a stop sign on their side lawn. Mother is watching very cautiously from the garage door while Dad is tinkering in the garage. A friend of the mother is driving by on the other side of the street. She stops to wave "hello" across the other lane.

I drive up on my way home. I stop. I pass through the intersection watching the boys on the bicycles. The older boy makes a loop into the street. Three people hold their breaths in anxious anticipation. I touch my brakes and slow. The child rides his bicycle back onto his driveway. The friend sighs, knowing that I saw the child and took the appropriate precaution. The mother, taking a few steps forward, smiles at me as I drive by. I smile back.

In our neighborhood we all look out for each other. And feel good about our community. Five seconds out of my busy life and I get to enjoy the beauty of non-verbal human communication. Oh, what a wonderful world.

D.

1 comment:

KayMac said...

how cool is that...parents knowing that other parents are watching out for their kids???