Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween Faux Pas

I love the fall of the year. The weather is supposed to start cooling off and the Apples are just coming ready from the orchards in the mountains 50 miles east of our town. It is always nice because we have great neighbors who bring us fresh apples from the mountains.

Yesterday's holiday (Halloween) is always a favorite at our household. Our kids are grown. My son, 14, went to a friend's house to scare all the neighborhood youngsters. (We heard screams coming from down the street all evening.) My daughter is away at college. The true enjoyment that we get is from all of the young children getting dressed up and coming to our door. My sister called and said she would stop by with her two little girls, my nieces, aged 2 and 3. They were both so cute dressed up as Snow White.

My sister took her kids trick or treating in our neighborhood for awhile and then stopped back by our house so her kids could wind down. Well, Uncle David would have none of that. I had the girls doing pull ups on the chinup bar that I installed for my son. I must have lifted them up ten times. It was a lot of fun. The youngest one kept asking "peas", so I had to lift her up. They were having such great fun.

The funny thing is that they both came in and put their little baskets on out coffee table. That is where we kept our bowl of candy to give out to all the little trick or treaters. When they noticed our bowl of candy, the started grabbing handfuls of candy to stock their baskets. Now a 2 or 3 year old does not have a large hand but they still managed to get several handfuls into their baskets. We managed to make things right. I gave a them each a few pieces.

We played and visited for a little while until it was time for them to leave. My wife offered my sister some fresh apples to take home for her girls. We got her a bag. After they had left we realized that my sister had forgotten the bag. It was then that my wife said it was just as well. That we shouldn't be giving Snow White apples anyway. She might be right. But ours were really quite harmless.

Enjoy your weekend.

1 comment:

KayMac said...

Ha! No apples for Snow White...made me LOL.