Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Would The Boy You Were...?

I wrote this poem 29 years ago. I am still wondering about that answer. Some days I think the boy would be happy and proud, other days I wonder. I am not perfect. I try. Jesse, here is that war we were talking about.

I wrote this on a plane flying into New Orleans for my brother's graduation from college in 1979. I was returning home. Everyone, all of my friends, had stayed and gone on to college. I went to work. I did not return home "a shining star" so I had to fictionalize the poem. The sentiments are still the same. Enjoy.

Would The Boy You Were...?

You had a lover once
She loved you with her heart.
Yet you cared not for her
She did not fit your part.
Now you are a big success,
You drive a fancy car.
Would the boy you were
Be proud of the man you are?

You see life as just a game,
You think that you must win.
It's not a game you win or lose
You'll never start again.
Sure you have your riches now,
Your wealth's beyond compare
But would the boy you were
Be proud of the man you are?

You say that you've come home,
You say you're home for good
But Mr. Wolfe was right and
You know you never could.
Did you come back to laugh
At those who never dared
Could the boy you were
Quite possibly have erred?

You see your friends that stayed
They've done more than you.
They've lived and loved and cared
For things you never knew.
And still you see yourself
As some returning star
Expecting the boy you were
To be proud of the man you are.

The people that you've known
The ones you cast aside
Still remain in this town
Though many of them have died.
Do you still expect their love,
Can you still expect concern?
When the man that you are
Is ashamed of the boy you were.

Your soul is plagued with scorn
Your heart can know no love.
The people you employed
It's you they're speaking of
Every time they strike
And walk the picket line
Because that boy you were
Had to account for every dime.

We could expect a change
From a man as old as you.
The wisdom of old age
Can help but a few.
If you could see the evil
That's hidden in your greed,
The boy that you once were
Could love the man you'd be.

Copyright 1979, 2005 By David R. Normand

No comments: