Monday, March 30, 2009

Ave Maria's Grotto.

When I was a kid growing up in the sixties and seventies my dad made sure that we saw as many special things as we possibly could. Every summer trip, summer vacation, when we took one, was an eventful trip with interesting side trips. (I have since been told that we didn't take a trip every year, but in my childhood memories I believe we did.)

On one of our trips to Washington, or to the Great Smokey Mountains, we stopped in a little town in Alabama. This was on our way to or from our destination. The mind fades, I can't remember if we were coming or going. (Come to think of it, I still have that problem today.) It doesn't matter. All I remember is that we spent several special days in Alabama.

I remember arriving at Huntsville, Alabama late in the afternoon. All of my siblings and myself were extremely hungry and it was too early for dinner. My dad stopped at a little convenience store for some munchies. We all waited in the car. He returned with such a delicious desert that I have never forgotten it. He brought out these fantastic oatmeal cookie pies with a sweet marshmallow filling. That was our introduction to Little Debbie Oatmeal pies. To this day whenever I see those Little Debbie boxes in the stores I remember that afternoon in Huntsville, Alabama. Such a sweet memory.

And also, on that same trip, I remember our tour of the Ave Maria's Grotto in Cullman, Alabama. I remember being fascinated by the little structures of historical sites made painstakingly by hand. I didn't know it at the time but the memory of having gone there and toured the magnificent grounds has stayed with me for almost 40 years now. I can still picture the place in my mind.

The Grotto is the creation of Brother Joseph Zoetl, a monk at the Benedictine St. Bernard Abbey. I am thankful for the internet because now I can visit this lovely place whenever I feel like it. Check out http://www.avemariagrotto.com/ and if you are ever in the area go see it in person.

D.

1 comment:

Saint Bernard Preparatory School said...

Thanks David for your kind words about Ave Maria Grotto. It is a special place and is still being enjoyed by thousands each year. The Grotto is currently undergoing some renovations. If you are back in Alabama, join us again.

P.S. Little Debbies Oatmeal Pies are still my favorite too.