Sunday, March 22, 2009

Commitment - A Starbucks pondering moment.

(With Apologies to Cosmo)

I have blogged on this before. My wife and I walk several days a week and we often stop at our local Starbucks' coffee shop for refreshment. I like to read when I am drinking my coffee. The Starbucks philosophy - put inspiring little quotes on the throwaway coffee cups to keep people coming back. ("The Way I See It #76 - Commitment"). Hey, they got me. I like the coffee. I ordered a skinny coffee drink. I am committed to walking. I am commtted to coffee.

Commitment. Quotes on coffee cups. Good marketing ploy. I enjoy little philosophical platitudes. Little inspirational notes to get us going...Important...gets us thinking.

Starbucks notes - "The Way I See It #76":
"The irony of commitment is that it's deeply liberating - in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life."

Anne Morriss (A Starbucks customer from New York City. She describes herself as an "organization builder, restless American citizen, optimist").

Note to Anne. I am impressed. What a beautiful thought. What an inspiration. March 20th, First day of Spring. Great day for a commitment. There are so many things to commit to. I am overwhelmed. So many things I want. So many things to commit to. I am committing to writing more and getting better at it. I am committed to spring; to planting a garden; to becoming a better human. Sounds like a New Year's resolution. Well, any milestone that shocks us back to reality, back to the tasks at hand is a good starting point. Personally, I need the reminders.

I shall remain committed. (Or perhaps I should be "committed"...Ha Ha. Couldn't resist.)

D.

No comments: