Monday, March 9, 2009

Work

I am just thinking how tired I am and that I must go to bed because I have to work in the morning. I remembered these quotes:

"It's a shame that the only thing a man can do for eight hours a day is work. He can't eat for eight hours; he can't drink for eight hours; he can't make love for eight hours. The only thing a man can do for eight hours is work." William Faulkner

Colleen C. Barrett:
"When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers."

"Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do"
Oscar Wilde quotes (Irish Poet, Novelist, Dramatist and Critic, 1854-1900)

Jonas Salk:
The reward for work well done is the opportunity to do more.

Frederick Douglass:
People might not get all they work for in this world, but they must certainly work for all they get.

And my own personal favorite...

Abraham Lincoln:
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it."

But believe me, I do consider myself very lucky to have a job. I enjoy the work I do. I am getting better at it (it is a new job). I am learning. And my wife and I are spending money and trying our best to keep the economy going strong. We are doing our part.

But work is such an unnatural endeavor. Ah, toil we must.

D.

1 comment:

KayMac said...

Hey Dave, I am locked up in my office taking a break from "work" so I can catch up on my blog reading...lol!

Really enjoyed your poems...post more!