Sunday, April 4, 2010

Earthquake, 7.2 Calexico, Mexico

We felt this earthquake this afternoon. I was just coming in from outside on the back patio. Most of my entire side yard is covered in concrete. My wife poked her head out the kitchen door and asked if I felt that. I said 'What?' She said 'earthquake'. I was in the doorway. I held on to the door jamb and I could fell the earth move. It lasted for a good 20 - 30 seconds. I have lived in California for the last thirty years and this was the most I have felt it shake. Pretty incredible.

No damage here at our house. Just kind of shaken up. I hope everyone is ok. I dare say there will be some damage in Calexico (about 110 miles south, southwest of here). I wish them well.

D.

Update: Upgraded to 7.2 mag. after a seismologist looked at the data. Two people dead in Mexico.

As an aside, people have commented on the differences of the death tolls between Haiti and this latest earthquake in Northern Mexico. Differences are in the construction of buildings, mostly because of the strength of concrete and its ability to withstand hurricanes. I think it is mostly a structural issue and not a cultural one.

No comments: