Sunday, January 6, 2008

coffee

Tonight, while setting up my coffee for tomorrow morning I looked at the grounds in the can. I thought (pondered) how many coffee beans went into a two pound can of coffee grinds? For that matter, how many beans grow on a coffee tree (bush?)? Who picks them, who grows them? I know this opens up a lot of questions on imperialism and colonialism but the price is paid. I know sometimes the prices go up and sometimes they go down.

These were just questions I had about coffee. And I just read that caffeine might be good for you, too. I shall keep drinking it.

I started drinking coffee when I was 17. I started working in a coffee shop/restaurant and we drank coffee. At one point there I realized that I was drinking four or five cups a day. I used to sweeten my coffee with sugar - one or two teaspoons. I realized that over a year that was a lot of sugar. I just stopped putting sugar in my coffee. It still didn't keep me from getting diabetes.

1 comment:

Cosmo said...

Dave,

Pondering over coffee is always good - especilly when the pondering is about coffee!

I mentioned on my blog last summer a great film called Black Gold which will answer some of your questions. It wasn't on wide release, but you should be able to track it down on DVD. If you're interested, here is the link to my post about the movie:

http://regularlatte.blogspot.com/2007/06/black-gold.html