Monday, January 28, 2008

Practical Jokes - Don't try this at home.

I know it has been a while since I last posted and I am working on an essay at the moment. But I wanted to post a little story about a family get together. I have two brothers and four sisters. We are all married with children of our own and we get together rather infrequently now. About five years ago, I think it was around Thanksgiving time, we all managed to get together at my parents house. The night before Thanksgiving is always a crazy time. We are prepping food in the kitchen for the big feast and everyone is running around my parents house socializing or hanging around the fire pit.

My wife, kids and I arrived after dinner on that particular Wednesday evening and all of the festivities had already begun. Now not all of my family drinks but there is usually a blender going for margaritas. We came in the front door and my wife went one way, the kids went another, so I dropped our contribution for the next day's meal in the kitchen.

In the kitchen, there was a lot of prep work going on. I offered to help. My sister, the one taking the trip with us next summer, was busy doing something for the meal; my older brother was in charge of margaritas. He offered me one. I was drinking at the time. I gladly took it. He poured me a nice blended margarita in a salt rimmed glass. It tasted great.

We started talking, catching up really, and I noticed that my sister had left the room. She had been pealing onions for the stuffing. She asked me to put the onions in a food processor before she left the room. I obliged. I remarked to my brother that the pureed onions looked alot like the blended margaritas that he was preparing. The idea just popped into my head. I yelled to my sister, who was now sitting around the fire pit, and asked if she wanted a margarita. She said that she would love one. I neatly poured the pureed onions in a salt rimmed glass and my brother and I went to socialize around the fire pit.

I gave my sister her "margarita" and we all sat around and joked and talked. It must have been about 5 minutes before my sister tasted her margarita. It was hilarious. She screamed at me and my brother and we had the greatest laugh. She will never forget. She doesn't take drinks from us anymore.

No comments: