Friday, January 4, 2008

New Year's Leap Year Tradition

This year my wife and I decided to take the kids to Disneyland after the new year. We have done this several times in the past to celebrate my daughter's birthday. This year was different. We have been trying to motivate my son to pay a little more attention to his studies and the trip was to be a reward (for trying at least). This year my daughter also turned 18 so this might be the last time we go to Disneyland as a family. That is ok with me.

I know it is the happiest place on earth. I know my wife grew up in Southern California and loves Disney (more than an adult woman should). I know the kids love it. But geesh. I have to pay for the admission and it seems that the dollar amount keeps going through my mind as we wait 45-60 minutes to ride the Indiana Jones ride or "Pirates of the Carribean". As we wait in line I try to figure out to the minute how much it is costing me just to anticipate the two minutes of enjoyment that I might get from the ride itself.

But still, my wife loves it. She loves the enjoyment that our kids received from watching the videos. I remember it too. My daughter was a year old when "Beauty and the Beast" came out. I remember her singing all of the songs - I think she learned to sing the songs before she learned to talk. I remember her watching the video over and over again. I cannot complain about Disney in that respect. It taught her to use her imagination. I believe it also taught her the true enjoyment that can come from reading. Belle, in the story, was an avid reader. Maybe my daughter learned from that. Whatever the reason she, my daughter, was never without a book. I am happy about that.

I think my son was about two years old when "Toy Story" came out. Yes, we took a trip to Disneyland that next year. He got his picture taken with Woody and dressed up as Woody for Halloween. Disney played a big part in my children's childhood. Why then do I dislike Disneyland so much?

Maybe because I have been there too much. Maybe because of the arrogance of the employees. I get yelled at from employees for walking in the street when their "parade" is about to start. Geesh, it is just a silly parade. Give me a break.

Still, I have to look at my wife. She gets excited because she has a Disney sweat shirt. She loves all the characters. She loves Sleeping Beauty's Castle. This year it was exceptional beautiful because it still had the Christmas lights that made it look fantastic. She loves walking up to the entrance. She loves the excitement of anticipation. She loves Main Street. She loves seeing all of the little kids, the smiles, the laughs, and yes, even the mid after noon temper tantrums. She loves those because she remembers that our kids used to do that and they are grown now, whew! Yet she remembers when they were young.

She remembers the sleeping babies in the baby carriages. She remember our daughter singing along to the songs at the Beauty and the Beast show. She remembers our daughter on Mr. Toad's wild ride. She remembers my son running to meet Woody. She remembers...

This year was fun too. We rode all of the rides, we shopped, we walked... and we walked. We shopped. We waited. I sat down with my wife while our kids went to ride an attraction that neither my wife nor myself had any interest in. We sat in one of the little cafes and sipped our drinks and just enjoyed each other's company. It was strangely quiet and we both shared how lonely it was. How our children were growing and soon would have lives of their own. It was a happy and sad day. This may be the last trip for awhile.

It was a bittersweet day for us. Kind of happy, kind of melancholy. My wife remembers the fun. I remember how much money it cost me.

And I remember how happy my children were when we went.

D.

No comments: