Thursday, February 28, 2008

Anniversary

I know it has been some time since I posted. I have been busy. I had a big party to plan. My wife and I just celebrated our twentieth wedding anniversary. I knew I would spend the rest of my life with her but for some reason this milestone meant a lot to me. I wanted to do something special for her. So, I arranged a surprise party. I started planning way back in the summer of 2007. You see my wife is the sweetest lady anyone could ever hope to know. She is just a very kind person. And I wanted to give her something special. She deserves it. I know she wanted jewelry (I'm not done yet) but that will have to wait. Maybe next week.

We were married on John Steinbeck's birthday. No, he wasn't invited. He was long dead when we got married. We did go to his house on our honeymoon. It only seemed fitting. But for our anniversary I knew I would have the party on the Saturday before our day. I had invited the entire wedding party and all of her family and all of mine. I knew that those from out of town might find it difficult to travel, but this town is our hometown and I thought that maybe some might schedule their trip "home" during this weekend. That thought proved in error. No one from out of town made it. It was just too difficult. But those that were in town sure made up for it.

I ordered food and I bought a cake. I had sodas, water and beer. I got everything over to the venue the night before. My wife did not have a clue. I sent my daughter down to the restaurant to pick up the food. She drives a pickup truck so she would have to borrow my wife's SUV. She made up a story about needing the car so that she could take her brother and her best friend to the mall. They just wanted to hang out. My wife got all choked talking about this. "Isn't that sweet?" she said. "She knows she is going to school away from us next fall and so she wants to spend time with her brother. She is such a good kid. What a kind heart." I didn't have the heart to tell her that they really don't get along that well and that my daughter needed the car for the food.

I had every thing planned. One of my wife's bridesmaids who we hadn't really talked to in years, offered to make party favors. Other offered all kinds of help. My parents offered their back yard. I had everyone arrive early on that Saturday. My wife and I got home about noon. The kids had already left. I told her we were going to go out to lunch. I was looking for all sorts of chores to keep me busy until 1PM. My sister called with an excuse to get us over to my parents house. Worked like a charm.

I told my wife that I needed to stop by to help my sister. I coerced her into the backyard because the housecleaner just mopped the floor. When we turned the corner of the house everyone yelled "Surprise". It was classic. My wife had this incredible surprised look on her face. Priceless. It made my day. I told her of the plans that I had. I had invited the entire wedding party and I wanted to do something special for her. She started to cry a couple of times. It was worth it for me. She is a beautiful lady and deserves all the happiness in the world.

I just wanted to share a little bit about that. It was a great time. She got to see most of her bridesmaids. I think she enjoyed it.

Thanks for reading.
David.

No comments: