Sunday, February 10, 2008

Tagged

I just got tagged. Initially I was leary about what that entailed but as I read about it I realize that the most difficult task is finding 5 other people to tag. Since I am relatively new at this, it looks as though I may be tagging 5 strangers. That will make friends. I shall be very selective. Thanks Cosmo (http://regularlatte.blogspot.com/).

Here are the requests of the tag:
1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five other people.

Here is my tag:

Prologue: I am reading a book called "Undaunted Courage" by the highly esteemed American Historian, Stephen E. Ambrose. Ambrose taught at the University of New Orleans (where I began my college education). He died in 2002.

"Undaunted Courage" is about the Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1804 -1806 in which two American explorers led a party of a couple of dozen men across the American continent to the Pacific ocean and back. This exploration was initiated by Thomas Jefferson shortly after he directed the purchase of Louisiana from the French in 1803. This is a fascinating book about the planning and execution of this exploration. In 2006 I was able to take my family to Montana and retrace some of the steps that Lewis and Clark may have taken on that journey. It was truly a great experience for me too. Note that on page 123 of the book the expedition is still in the planning stages.

Tag:
"Most of the trade goods came from across the ocean, then crossed the continent to reach St. Louis. From that central point, the goods fanned out via individual traders to the farthest reaches of the frontier. And the pirogues and keelboats that carried the trade goods to the Indians brought back stacks and stacks of beautiful furs that brought king's ransoms in Europe."

Whew! That wasn't so bad. I love history. I read a children's book about the Lewis and Clark expedition when I was a kid. I am thoroughly enjoying Ambrose's book.

Thanks again Cosmos. I shall have to get back to you on who I tag.

3 comments:

Cosmo said...

Thanks for taking part!

This is a great little snapshot into an epic adventure.

KayMac said...

Catching up on your blog...Happy (belated) New Year. And if I was your sister...hmmmm. Hope she keeps you looking over your shoulder for the revenge! LOL

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, I had not noticed ponderingdave.blogspot.com before in my searches!
Continue the superb work!