Thursday, February 14, 2008

How we got here....

I was going through my desk tonight and I found an old Ann Landers column that I clipped from the newspaper. Some lady wrote in that she was depressed about the world situation. Not the world only but her own neighborhood and town, as well. This lady had heard the grandson of Mahatma Ghandhi speak and she remembered his grandfather’s words about the causes of violence.

I thought it was very profound. I wonder if you do too.

Let’s think about these causes……

Wealth without work.
Pleasure without conscience.
Knowledge without character.
Commerce without Morality.
Science without humanity.
Worship without sacrifice.
Politics without principles.

Seems plausible to me. And maybe I have some guilt that goes with it. No, not guilt, but maybe the knowledge of participation.

3 comments:

Nick Coke said...

Dave this is a fantastic quote and so utterly true. Certainly something to ponder for Lent!

KayMac said...

Good post, Dave..."..maybe the knowledge of participation." hmmmm.

btw, i responded to your tag.

Cosmo said...

Good quote worthy of some challenging discussion in a group.

I wonder how often good information like this is "clipped" from newspapers anymore? I now tend to dump things in my "favourites" folder on the computer - perhaps never to be viewed again. I have to say, I think I prefer the idea of coming across a gem like this while cleaning up my desk.

What else did you find???