Saturday, February 16, 2008

Things found in my file drawers

Cosmo (http://regularlatte.blogspot.com/) asked what else I found on my desk or in my filing cabinet filled with newspaper clippings. When I first went electronic I tried to digitize some of the longer articles, but I gave up. It seemed like so much work. Now I know it is easier to just drag the article to the appropriate directory on my hard drive. But Cosmo is right, do we ever get back to them? Only when cleaning. I rarely clean up my hard drive. Some of these articles I really intend to get back to.

I remember I had a 7 or 8 line obituary taped to my monitor. I looked at it everyday. I didn't know the person but it caught my eye. This lady died at the age of 94. The significant item in her obit was that she worked as a waitress in the same restaurant for over 50 years. I used to work as a chef and spent 14 years in that career. In those 14 years I worked for 8 different employers. It amazed me that someone could stay in one place for all that time.

Another article that sticks out is the one about the saloon in, I believe it was Yellowknife, NWT, Canada. There was a gentlemen who frequented this saloon. He died with no heirs. He left his small fortune to be spent each year on his birthday or the anniversary of his death so that he would buy a drink to anyone in the bar. And on that day the patrons would all toast him. This showed me the sense of community and friendship that can exist in this world.

There are so many other articles that are in there. I really should compile them into some kind of collection. The knowledge in there, the humanity, the love would be something to read. Some day, when I get back to cleaning out my papers, maybe I shall.

Thanks Cosmo for asking that question. I know there are other interesting things in there.

2 comments:

jsi said...

Cool obits and subjects which they comunicate. Imagine 50 years at one place...one place.

KayMac said...

hmmmm, very interesting. I cannot imagine being a waitress for 50 years. I was one once, for a few months. I learned to appreciate wait staff as I never had before.

Community and friendship...I think the blogging world brings that!